StalkerSoup
StalkerSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official StalkerSoup forum

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» A walk through StalkerSoup...
Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeby Jowien Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 2:08

» Yakut does not give a dialog pt.2
Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeby SPEC Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 15:32

» Is StalkerSoup completed?
Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeby DUCATISLO Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 17:05

» Vanilla graphics addon? And maybe a better hitmarker?
Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeby DUCATISLO Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 17:03

» Sakharov wont talk to me
Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeby pchester Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 19:37

» All the Database files
Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeby Reconboi Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 14:19

» What to do after Fly's rescue?
Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeby TrueB Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 11:28

» Game crashes while on load screens
Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeby Sword2012 Sun 17 Mar 2024 - 22:26

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
No user
Statistics
We have 1749 registered users
The newest registered user is digitalaxon

Our users have posted a total of 12536 messages in 1748 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 254 on Thu 8 Apr 2021 - 17:10

Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PsyWarVeteran
Novice
PsyWarVeteran

Graphical/Lighting Problems Empty
PostSubject: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeFri 4 Feb 2022 - 3:36

Hello stalkers,

I have decided to replay this fantastic mod again, when I started the game I saw and remembered one of my biggest problems with it. There is something wrong with the graphics.I have always noticed it but this time I actually want to talk about it.

The graphics have some sort of "darkness" to them. It's like aggressive sharpening or color correction. When I look at the walls of a building it is pretty noticable. Looks shiny and dark, like there aren't any shadows present. I can't really describe it.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I think it can be tweaked from the modders.script but I'm not really sure what to do. Is it because of the shaders? If so is there any way to revert them back to the vanilla SoC ones?

Questions, questions.

EDIT: Here are some comparisons:

Graphical/Lighting Problems 5a10   Graphical/Lighting Problems 5b10

I first thought it was the textures but look outside, there is sunlight and a general vividness to color in vanilla.

----------

Graphical/Lighting Problems 2a11   Graphical/Lighting Problems 2b10

Sunlight and bright colors in vanilla, sharp, dark colors in SS.

----------

Graphical/Lighting Problems Nosun10  Graphical/Lighting Problems Nosun210

It's like there is no sun in SS, like the brightness and contrast slider were pulled to the max to make the image brighter.

Last edited by PsyWarVeteran on Sat 5 Feb 2022 - 0:44; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TecnoBacon
Administrator
TecnoBacon

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeSat 5 Feb 2022 - 17:37

There are a few possibilities:
The graphics card is overriding the engine settings.
The shaders are not getting set up correctly (shaders in SS are not compatible with other shaders).
Versioning problem which means you should send the log file and your modders script to me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://tecnobacon.com
PsyWarVeteran
Novice
PsyWarVeteran

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeSat 5 Feb 2022 - 21:12

Thank you for answering TecnoBacon.

Thing is, I have played various versions of SS, on various different computers. The results were always the same. I could send you the modders script, but the only thing I edited was changing "sun_near" 50 to 48 like it's recommended. I have been experiencing this lighting problem years before that oversight.

Can you confirm that this is NOT how the game is supposed to look? Because I have been watching videos of other people playing and the game looks just as dark. If that is how it's supposed to look, is there a way to revert to vanilla?

My eyes aren't what they used to be and those sharp visuals are making it hard to enjoy the mod.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
TecnoBacon
Administrator
TecnoBacon

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeSun 6 Feb 2022 - 21:06

Original post:

send me a startup log and I will see what settings are being made. SS has a more dynamic lighting system, and some areas are darker based on how your card handles the HDR. The sun takes into consideraion both cloud density and time of day as well which can be accessed through the advanced graphics option. One other thing is wet surfaces which will darken it even more, it can be turned off in the modders script.
Something also to note is that the shaders defines are copied from the options folder at the time the game is run from the launcher which is required to start the game.
One last note just in case: this build is not compatible with ant other mod due to the redesign of major services.
Back to top Go down
PsyWarVeteran
Novice
PsyWarVeteran

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeMon 7 Feb 2022 - 0:25

Okay, where can I find the files that I am supposed to send? -appdata- / logs?
Back to top Go down
TecnoBacon
Administrator
TecnoBacon

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeMon 7 Feb 2022 - 16:56

..stalkersoup\_appdata_\logs and gamedata\scripts
Back to top Go down
PsyWarVeteran
Novice
PsyWarVeteran

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2022 - 4:10

My folders are set up differently, closest I have is:

stalkersoup\-appdata-\logs\xray_username

AND

stalkersoup\gamedata\scripts\tb3d_modders
Back to top Go down
pchester
Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeTue 8 Feb 2022 - 9:59

PsyWarVeteran wrote:
My folders are set up differently, closest I have is:

stalkersoup\-appdata-\logs\xray_username

AND

stalkersoup\gamedata\scripts\tb3d_modders

This is also how my folders appear.
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Graphic / Lighting Problems (The Game is too dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeThu 10 Feb 2022 - 12:39

PsyWarVeteran wrote:
Thank you for answering TecnoBacon.

Thing is, I have played various versions of SS, on various different computers. The results were always the same. I could send you the modders script, but the only thing I edited was changing "sun_near" 50 to 48 like it's recommended. I have been experiencing this lighting problem years before that oversight.

Can you confirm that this is NOT how the game is supposed to look? Because I have been watching videos of other people playing and the game looks just as dark. If that is how it's supposed to look, is there a way to revert to vanilla?

My eyes aren't what they used to be and those sharp visuals are making it hard to enjoy the mod.
Thank you.
Hi,
I too have poor eyesight. If you press escape and go to options, sceen, basic you can make basic adjustments there to lighten the scene then click apply and check the results for more or less light until  you have a setting that suits; rather than look in the screen advanced whose settings are adjustablebut there are no fine tuning in the way that can be done in the TB3D Modders.Script where, after making a backup, you can try adjustments, knowing the backup is there to put things back as they were beforehand.I also recommend in Advanced settings diabling psi effects and disable the effect that puts you in the mode of wearing a H.U.D that shows misting, cracks, blood etc.
Regards TrueB
Back to top Go down
PsyWarVeteran
Novice
PsyWarVeteran

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeFri 11 Feb 2022 - 12:54

My eyesight is fine, but while playing STALKERSOUP I can't look at the screen after a while because the sharp image irritates my eyes.

I assume you are talking about the settings such as gamme, contrast etc when saying basic adjustments. Thing is, the problem cannot be fixed by tweaking brightness settings, it's about how the game handles light, it's about the engine not the image brightness.

As for the psi effects and HUD effects, those are not the problem sadly.
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Graphic lighting Problems   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeSun 13 Feb 2022 - 22:01

PsyWarVeteran wrote:
My eyesight is fine, but while playing STALKERSOUP I can't look at the screen after a while because the sharp image irritates my eyes.

I assume you are talking about the settings such as gamme, contrast etc when saying basic adjustments. Thing is, the problem cannot be fixed by tweaking brightness settings, it's about how the game handles light, it's about the engine not the image brightness.

As for the psi effects and HUD effects, those are not the problem sadly.

Stalkersoup is a Soup of mods and it is a 32bit game based on the Shadow of Chernobyl which was the first of the 3 games. Marked One is in all 3 games though only played by gamers in the first one. Stalkersoup's main base was NS which was developed into PeopleSoup before it became Stalkersoup. So changing the engine is not simple because of the many owners of mods incorporated and to what extent they are able to change the engine and of course whether they would want to. Then there is the problem of whether all the mods can be enhanced up to 64bit, which has been a desire for many gamers of Stalkersoup. There are other game engines available such as Unreal, but then compatibility and ownership are aspects to be looked at. I don't have any problems looking at the screen, except in the Caves and Labyrinth. I do play on DX9 because my monitor works at 240fps, and Stalkersoup generally seems to be between 30 and 60fps, so to ease viewing I use the lowest setting. If you have an Nvidia graphics card, some of the settings can be changed but with Stalkersoup I find it helps to use the game settings. The probability in my opinion is that until TB announces otherwise ie by a full change to another engine but more likely 32bit to 64bit I hope, then what you see is how it is.
There are perhaps other Stalker mod games that may suit you better which may use different game engines. But at present the Stalkersoup is still in its evolution so who knows how it will be by the time it completed.
Back to top Go down
PsyWarVeteran
Novice
PsyWarVeteran

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeMon 14 Feb 2022 - 4:53

I know the history of STALKER trilogy and STALKERSOUP well. I'm not saying the engine needs to be 64bit, I'm saying changing brightness settings won't work because the darkness is tied to how the engine handles various things such as sun variables.

All three STALKER games run on 32bit engines and so does most mods, but they can still display a warm and vivid image. 64bits won't change the image.

I also have a 240hz monitor and I get more than 100 FPS most of the time. So the fluidity of the image isn't a problem either.
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Graphical lighting problems    Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb 2022 - 10:04

PsyWarVeteran wrote:
I know the history of STALKER trilogy and STALKERSOUP well. I'm not saying the engine needs to be 64bit, I'm saying changing brightness settings won't work because the darkness is tied to how the engine handles various things such as sun variables.

All three STALKER games run on 32bit engines and so does most mods, but they can still display a warm and vivid image. 64bits won't change the image.

I also have a 240hz monitor and I get more than 100 FPS most of the time. So the fluidity of the image isn't a problem either.

If you play around with the advanced settings, TB3D Modders.Script or shades after first backing up the last two, it is possible to brighten up the game. In my opinion darkness is not tied to how the engine handles various things such as sun variables and if you find your settings for Stalkersoup too dark, it should be possible with the available options to reach a level of lighting to suit you. Is Stalkersoup the only game you experience a level of darkness that affects your enjoyment. I ask because if not then it could be your monitor  and/or computer settings, but if so, in my opinion it should be possible to lighten the game sufficiently to play with. Since outfits can also use night vision during daytime and weather be set to fair, often giving a full moon at night, there are such ways to lighten your image.
Back to top Go down
PsyWarVeteran
Novice
PsyWarVeteran

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb 2022 - 13:06

It's not my monitor, believe me.

SS is not only the only game but only STALKER mod that has that issue. The game isn't "dark" as in I can't see anything, its more like dull and sunless, it can be seen on my screenshots.
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Graphical and Lighting problem   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeWed 16 Feb 2022 - 15:31

PsyWarVeteran wrote:
It's not my monitor, believe me.

SS is not only the only game but only STALKER mod that has that issue. The game isn't "dark" as in I can't see anything, its more like dull and sunless, it can be seen on my screenshots.

I agree the game can look dull and sunless. This is in my opinion is the default option; there are also the stormy weather option and the clearer day option (not correct terms). I always choose the 3rd option. Stormy will of its nature be darker and mid more bland but the clearer weather produces mainly sunny weather which I prefer. As already mentioned, clearer weather gives more moonlit nights. But nights can be slept through so if you play the good weather daylight option, this may improve your life in the Zone.
There are also options like bloom you can try. As long as you make a backup of any files you wish to test and make a named save eg lightingtest beforehand, then you can't AFAIK affect play,  because you can revert to the files' copies and reload the saved game file from before testing.
Back to top Go down
undead32
Novice

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug 2022 - 16:10

I got psywarveteran's problem too, First, I thought Soc is the problem but Vanila Soc is way better looking.
And I didn't got graphic problems in any other mod or original game(Anomaly,Misery,EFP,CoC.. etc)

I wanna confirm is this a origianlly SS want to show us or just a error.

Oh, by the way I think DX9,DX11,DX11 Extended aren't different at all
Back to top Go down
pchester
Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug 2022 - 18:19

I'm not sure I am qualified to help with this one. To my tired old eyes there is a noticeable difference between the DX options, and I certainly prefer DX11 Extended. StalkerSoup does tend to be more contrasty (is that a word?) than other Stalker games that I have played, but for the most part I have been able to overcome this by adjusting the brightness/contrast/gamma controls. Admittedly there are times when the lighting is so dim even in daytime, that I need to use night vision.

There are many default graphics settings and wet surface settings that can be tinkered with in the 'Modders Script' (STALKERSOUP\gamedata\scripts\tb3d_modders.script). However, I haven't played with any of these so I don't know if they would help.
Back to top Go down
undead32
Novice

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug 2022 - 18:55

pchester wrote:
I'm not sure I am qualified to help with this one. To my tired old eyes there is a noticeable difference between the DX options, and I certainly prefer DX11 Extended. StalkerSoup does tend to be more contrasty (is that a word?) than other Stalker games that I have played, but for the most part I have been able to overcome this by adjusting the brightness/contrast/gamma controls. Admittedly there are times when the lighting is so dim even in daytime, that I need to use night vision.

There are many default graphics settings and wet surface settings that can be tinkered with in the 'Modders Script' (STALKERSOUP\gamedata\scripts\tb3d_modders.script). However, I haven't played with any of these so I don't know if they would help.
I am not a modder or programmer so i cant touch that script either. However, What i want to say at my privious post is SS's graphic looks very bad even compare with Static Lighting Render original Soc.
Of course, It's my opinion. NO Offense. Seriously.
Anyway, that's why I think the graphic is a bug, I broke some option or this is SS creater want to show us.
And thanks for reply me pchester.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pchester
Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug 2022 - 21:59

undead32 wrote:

I am not a modder or programmer so i cant touch that script either. However, What i want to say at my privious post is SS's graphic looks very bad even compare with Static Lighting Render original Soc.
Of course, It's my opinion. NO Offense. Seriously.
Anyway, that's why I think the graphic is a bug, I broke some option or this is SS creater want to show us.
And thanks for reply me pchester.  Very Happy

No problem, and I hope I can speak for the devs in saying no offence taken. Razz

It is worth taking a look at the modders script. It contains a wealth of options and switches to enable players with little programming knowledge to change some of the game settings without having to delve into the files. Just make a copy first... and if you are like me, steer clear of the parts you don't understand...  scratch
Back to top Go down
undead32
Novice

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2022 - 7:02

Quote :
Previous post:
Ok I'll try it. Maybe i can figure how to make it lol!
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Graphical Lighting Problems    Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2022 - 9:20

undead32 wrote:
I got psywarveteran's problem too, First, I thought Soc is the problem but Vanila Soc is way better looking.
And I didn't got graphic problems in any other mod or original game(Anomaly,Misery,EFP,CoC.. etc)

I wanna confirm is this a origianlly SS want to show us or just a error.

Oh, by the way I think DX9,DX11,DX11 Extended aren't different at all
Hi undead32,
Regarding the 3 DXs, in my opinion you are correct. I always play on DX9 to take up less RAM hopefully. Stalkersoup is still an evolutionary standalone Game and is a long way forward from the original but is almost finished it seems, before it's next stage. 
As I previously mentioned there are 3 graphical weather options plus in options the lighting can be adjusted and if you look at the TB3D Modders.Script you will find various options for changing the graphics, though I recommend making a backup copy of the script first.
Hopefully this will improve your game looks. Regards TrueB

Novice

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeWed 24 Aug 2022 - 9:45

Quote :
Previous post:
Thank for your reply, TrueB. Then I should play ss in DX9.
Do you know any readme or Pro tip for TB3D Modders.Script? It's too hard for newbie like me.
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Graphical lighting problems    Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2022 - 13:25

undead32 wrote:
Quote :
Previous post:
Thank for your reply, TrueB. Then I should play ss in DX9.
Do you know any readme or Pro tip for TB3D Modders.Script? It's too hard for newbie like me.
Hi undead32, I  opine the following:
if you work your way through the Modders.Script having first put aside a copy, it can be seen that on the right is TecnoBacon's suggested amount except where some areas say a minimum eg of mutants, and,  on the left the optional amounts, also the True/False options. I would suggest not touching the shading/weather options nor those for modders near the base of the script (but the Modders keys are userul) It can be soon seen that eg attacks can be reduced, blowouts stopped, and I recommend the five minute cooking time option for artefacts.
In the options folder when playing you can put yourself down as invincible with unlimited ammo. When commencing you can choose cadet level and minimise anomalies. In advanced options you can turn off the Hud breathing sound and psi effects from mutants. I hope these opined tips are helpful.
Regards TrueB

Novice

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2022 - 15:13

Quote :
Previous post:
Thanks! TrueB! This tips seems enormously useful.
Regards undead32
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)   Graphical/Lighting Problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Graphical / Lighting Problems - (The Game is Too Dark)
Page 1 of 1