STALKERSOUP

Everything about the STALKERSOUP game...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Hey, everyone!
by Alphabet Soup Today at 1:16

» Just a few questions and chat...
by TecnoBacon Today at 0:12

» The '100 Rads' bar...
by Aleks1970 Yesterday at 23:10

» Soul Cube 110017.1
by Aleks1970 Yesterday at 22:48

» A Stalker's Diary v1
by PhilH231 Yesterday at 20:16

» Dialog 1.1007.1
by pchester Yesterday at 20:12

» How do I fix my save file after 110017.1?
by doggybag2355 Yesterday at 18:49

» Latest patch conundrum
by Sword2012 Yesterday at 15:46

August 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
pchester

Sword2012

AsianStrelok

TecnoBacon

PhilH231

nemisis1842khann

Alphabet Soup

doggybag2355

Spiked_

MiksaMV

Statistics
We have 556 registered users
The newest registered user is Angemalter

Our users have posted a total of 6558 messages in 758 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 26 on Sat 7 Apr 2018 - 5:10

Share | 

Which version of Windows is best?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
nemisis1842khann
Veteran

PostSubject: Which version of Windows is best?   Mon 28 May 2018 - 14:11

I am on win 7 home edition and 64, it keeps asking me to update
 to an up grade of 7, I see that there appears a win 8.1 available.
 win 10 seems not to be the best for SS to run on as you have to
 split your drive, but with that win 7 upgrade would I need to
 restart SS or the same for win 8.1, any one know what is best who
 understands these things.
Back to top Go down
kd6dm

PostSubject: Re: Which version of Windows is best?   Mon 28 May 2018 - 16:56

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Hi nemesis.., Microsoft is still supporting Windows 7, and will continue to do so until January, 2020. If your current setup is working for you, I'd stick with it until then. IMHO, skip Win 8.1, and Windows 10 is really just Win 8.1 fixed. If you want to disable the "nags" to upgrade, see: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've been running Windows 10 since 2015, without insurmountable problems. (Every major upgrade creates issues that you have to "fiddle" with). In fact, once you work around the permissions issues of Win 10, it actually has better memory management than 7 or 8.1. And it's being actively developed.

I have a 250 GB Solid State hard drive as a separate drive for games including Stalkersoup. Works well, and SSDs have become very inexpensive lately. Stalkersoup works well, without issues in this setup.

Good luck, and good hunting.

Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Which version of Windows is best?   Mon 28 May 2018 - 20:48

Hi kd6dm,
Thanks for that incite to this issue, the basic 10 is 100 UK notes and the big boy
near 200, now that's ok if that sort of cash is not an issue, unfortunately it is not n my
world, well to that level it is, every thing is going up in price over here, I hope that
most things will level out as an when TB gets SS running on 64, so as things as they
are I will have to run on 7, my daughter has 10 and she 'gave' me 200 gig to play with
but as she is on her comp I am not getting a look in to any degree, I have not totally
got to grips with SS on her machine, I understand if correct d/l on the main drive and
unpack and install in to the drive I have been 'given' hers is C and my bit is E, so if the
world of 7 is binned I will have to get 10 installed, god no's how much its going to cost
though, your rig sounds very up market I should have got it upgraded some years ago,
I had a chance to get a SSD installed but did not take note of the way computers were
going, is there on this site full instructions of installing 10, I have tested mine and it
says it will take it, have to convince the wife, better borrow a duty exo suit, but many
thanks for your help....

Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Which version of Windows is best?   Tue 29 May 2018 - 21:19

Dear nemisis1842khan

Bearing in mind your technical background, please be aware that kd6dm is very, very good at what he does with computers!

I totally agree with him not to go for Windows 8.1, and stick with Windows 7 64 bit, especially for StalkerSoup, for the time being

But if you're running Windows 7 Home, and not Pro, I read recently that you're better getting rid of whatever antivirus you have and using MS Security Essentials - simply because Microsoft aren't giving much thought anymore to patching Windows 7, and are turning out sloppy patches that can clash with third party antivirus software

Having said that, they're turning out sloppy patches for Windows 10 too, so just be careful what you download, and do your research on every patch...

I'd also support kd6dm's recommendation of a SSD for your Windows installation and StalkerSoup game. It won't make your game run faster, but it'll certainly speed up loading between levels...

EDIT: My Samsung EVO 250Gb solid state system drive failed yesterday after just two years. One of the best SSDs around, it should have lasted 5-7 years, especially as I'd allocated 10% of its capacity for self-maintenance. There was no warning. No loss of data. No crashing. It just failed to start up in the morning and the BIOS didn't recognise it anymore

It had a 5 year guarantee, and so it'll cost me nothing to get a replacement, other than three days getting everything to my liking again after rebuilding. Fortunately most of my data is stored in Dropbox, and I was running Google Drive which continually backs up my desktop files; but the message I want to pass on is to always ensure that you're backed up for when this happens. It can happen to anyone, no matter how good they (think they) are, nor how beautifully your system is running pale
Back to top Go down
kd6dm

PostSubject: Re: Which version of Windows is best?   Tue 29 May 2018 - 22:32

EDIT: My Samsung EVO 250Gb solid state system drive failed yesterday after just two years. One of the best SSDs around, it should have lasted 5-7 years, especially as I'd allocated 10% of its capacity for self-maintenance. There was no warning. No loss of data. No crashing. It just failed to start up in the morning and the BIOS didn't recognise it anymore pale

Hi Sword, thanks for the compliment. Just wanted to say that I have the exact same Samsung EVO 250 GB as my gaming drive, so keeping my fingers crossed..argh! Crying or Very sad

Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Which version of Windows is best?   Wed 30 May 2018 - 11:38

Morning Sword, that item about AV systems I am using Norton at mo that is not running
well, I have had 3 Trojans just recently that Norton did not spot, the MS Security Essentials
did, so one is in a quandary as to what to do, as MS is free and Norton is fairly costly, I think
watch this space for now so when Norton wants renewing and MS catches more I will cancel
the NORTON,
That win7 pro is it more friendly to SS or is it better altogether or just a way to get more cash.
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Which version of Windows is best?   Wed 30 May 2018 - 13:01

Morning Sword, that item about AV systems I am using Norton at mo that is not running
 well, I have had 3 Trojans just recently that Norton did not spot, the MS Security Essentials
 did, so one is in a quandary as to what to do, as MS is free and Norton is fairly costly, I think
 watch this space for now so when Norton wants renewing and MS catches more I will cancel
 the NORTON,
 That win7 pro is it more friendly to SS or is it better altogether or just a way to get more cash.

Hi Nemesis
IMO, in your case there's no point in spending money on Windows 7 Pro. You already have a working product, so leave it until 2020. Windows 7 Pro will also start dying off after then anyway

For now, Windows 7 64 bit is better for you than Windows 10 for playing StalkerSoup

What you do need to do now, though, is totally uninstall Norton, and any other antivirus products you have, other than MS Security Essentials - because they will fight each other

See them as disparate factions fighting for control of their territory (your PC), and fending off what they see as attackers by other security products

You must NOT have more than one antivirus product installed on your computer...  Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which version of Windows is best?   

Back to top Go down

Which version of Windows is best?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STALKERSOUP :: STALKERSOUP Main discussions-
Jump to: