:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» CTD when going from Army Warehouses to DV
Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeby cullinaire Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 14:50

» Housekeeping risk
Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeby TrueB Sun 10 Nov 2019 - 11:09

» Sepator died
Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeby TrueB Thu 7 Nov 2019 - 9:43

» Stuck in the gameplay, Stalker? Let's have a little chat...
Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeby pchester Tue 5 Nov 2019 - 23:27

» Waiting Room. Level 1 ZEP
Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeby TrueB Sun 3 Nov 2019 - 2:16

» Cheeki Breeki
Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeby TrueB Wed 30 Oct 2019 - 13:10

» How to get to caves for Baldy's quest
Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeby cullinaire Tue 29 Oct 2019 - 21:53

» Stun grenades.
Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeby TrueB Sat 26 Oct 2019 - 9:36

November 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
Statistics
We have 890 registered users
The newest registered user is Adam0

Our users have posted a total of 9680 messages in 1252 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 148 on Wed 3 Jul 2019 - 13:42

Message Log Idea

Go down 
AuthorMessage
_Nite_
Veteran

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeMon 23 Sep 2019 - 7:09

Since the message log has a limit about how much text that can displayed, is it possible that the people you talk to will let you repeat the dialog as many times as ya want? A player can go back to the mission giver and see the dialog again just incase they miss something or can't remember what to do cause not all missions have the text available in the Task List
Back to top Go down
Aleks1970
Administrator Founder
Aleks1970

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeMon 23 Sep 2019 - 15:59

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Since the message log has a limit about how much text that can displayed, is it possible that the people you talk to will let you repeat the dialog as many times as ya want? A player can go back to the mission giver and see the dialog again just incase they miss something or can't remember what to do cause not all missions have the text available in the Task List
This is not possible because after you have accepted the task this task will become disabled as already used!
This is valid for the stable in-game tasks. Repetitive tasks are another story.
The only way around this problem(for now) is making screenshots...
Back to top Go down
http://stalkersoup.forumotion.com
TrueB
Master

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Message log idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeMon 23 Sep 2019 - 18:56

Previous post:

Hi Alex
Couldn't the message log scroll like a regular note eg the TB3D Modders.Script does.
A 2nd thought is that using the Word processor option could be done manually or
Clicking text to keep could perhaps be auto-copied to the word processor if open

Veteran

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeTue 24 Sep 2019 - 4:41

Previous post:

Hi Alex
Couldn't the message log scroll like a regular note eg the TB3D Modders.Script does.
A 2nd thought is that using the Word processor option could be done manually or
Clicking text to keep could perhaps be auto-copied to the word processor if open

yea or that would work too, a scroll function that goes page by page for the message log, just like in the Spawn Menu items / Info Portions
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Message log idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeTue 24 Sep 2019 - 10:03

Previous post:

When you open your pda, clicking on the right side opens other options and one of these is a word-processor. It is laborious but typing in the basics of a conversation into the word-processor guarantees a record of missions etc. So that is now available. Though if TB/Aleks worked their wonderful skills, it might be possible to transfer the conversations to the word-processor automatically and that will hopefully scroll.
I realised also if turning in or doing part & Artifact requests for eg Sid, once they are all done then any mission info will be held longer in the scroll.
One thing that does show which could be an option is the frequent updates by Suslov of winnings money, gaining interest. Could it be limited to when a new area is entered? It would help. Likewise when money is taken off bodies for that is added anyway to the money figure? Perhaps those could be turned off eg in the modders.script please.
Regards, TrueB

Administrator
Sword2012

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeTue 24 Sep 2019 - 10:37

Not quite as fancy as a word processor, the extremely basic, manual-entry, electronic notepad will hold up to 100 messages for later retrieval

There's no titling facility - just a number from 1-99 for each message

Instructions for use are in the Encyclopedia, under PDA / PDA / Additional functions / Reminder - Notepad
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Message log idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeWed 25 Sep 2019 - 6:19

Previous post:

Still, Sword, even that is pretty good because once the deed has been carried out, the message can be deleted.
One message could be added to to extend the usage, for I am thinking of tips eg using certain info portions where stuck that are provided perhaps to other gamers, on Forum, plus general tips. Could all be in one message added to or erased as needs be. It is a great idea to utilise. Regards, TrueB.

Master

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re messaging log ideas   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeThu 17 Oct 2019 - 1:39

Not quite as fancy as a word processor, the extremely basic, manual-entry, electronic notepad will hold up to 100 messages for later retrieval

There's no titling facility - just a number from 1-99 for each message

Instructions for use are in the Encyclopedia, under PDA / PDA / Additional functions / Reminder - Notepad

Regarding use of Notepad:
Spoiler:

is there any limit to the size of the messages: eg one message could be re infoportions and be edited to add to the one message, another especially in levelup 1+ where tasks are not usually under tasks but entries under Collector, or ongoing notes about glitches etc. So here could be 3 ongoing messages up to 99? Or is there some sort of restriction on message size, please? I look forward to your reply, TrueB.

Administrator
Sword2012

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeThu 17 Oct 2019 - 2:17

Previous post:

I've not found a character limit to the length of a message, so I suggest you try it and see. I've also not tried editing in afterwards, so give it a go and let us know, please

Just bear in mind that all text needs to be typed in manually. There's no copy/paste facility in this simple note taker...
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeThu 17 Oct 2019 - 8:57

Previous post:

I've not found a character limit to the length of a message, so I suggest you try it and see. I've also not tried editing in afterwards, so give it a go and let us know, please

Just bear in mind that all text needs to be typed in manually. There's no copy/paste facility in this simple note taker...

Hi Sword, Is there one then for the Word proccessor? If messages instead of being with diary were straight into the Word Processor then extraneous messages such as the mentioned Suslov's could be deleted especially if they can be selected by the mouse.

For if the program allows a word processor and messages, surely this could be seen as an unnecessary duplication on the limited amount of memory within the 32bit restraint; though this would only be true if the word processor and/or Notepad are capable of absorbing the messages side of the diary.

Master

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Message log idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeThu 17 Oct 2019 - 9:12

This is not possible because after you have accepted the task this task will become disabled as already used!
This is valid for the stable in-game tasks. Repetitive tasks are another story.
The only way around this problem(for now) is making screenshots...

Hi Aleks, currently afaik, screenshots when taken go to the screenshot folder to be accessed later but need to be recognised for the incident. I normally make a save in which I briefly set out why the screenshot.

Could screenshots be saved to Notepad/Word Processor as well as or instead of the folder? If so they would be in context, & could they then be sent as such to the Forum, the Administrators and specifically if a language screenshot direct to the language group with covering note perhaps.

This suggestion I realise is not in any way urgent because with so much modding going on, such would imo take a fair amount of work whilst being accomplished. Best wishes, TrueB.

Administrator
Sword2012

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeThu 17 Oct 2019 - 13:03

Previous post:

If, by the 'Word Processor', you mean the text messaging service, then this is not a storage area, any more than the text service on a smartphone would be

To my knowledge there is no 'Word Processor' within the PDA - at least nothing that allows you to process or manipulate words to write an article. The Notepad allows simple, manual text entry and storage, but it's not a Smart device with zoom, pinch, copy and paste. You can't even highlight the text to use Ctrl+C to copy it

If I'm wrong, and there is a WP, then please let me know and I'll explore it

Although stored text does not take up much memory, it's still going to use in-game memory wherever you ask for text to be stored, but a screenshot will always take up far more memory than text

If you want to view your screenshots while playing, just create a shortcut on your Desktop to your '_appdata_/screenshots' folder beforehand. Then, while playing, just pause the game and Alt+Tab to your Desktop
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Message Log idea.   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeFri 18 Oct 2019 - 3:33

Previous post:

Brilliant. I will definitely do so re screenshots, and can remove some saves to archive whilst there, thanks. Um... is there a way back without going through reload, Sword, if the game is paused, please?  I look forward to your reply, TrueB.

Administrator
Sword2012

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeFri 18 Oct 2019 - 4:37

Previous post:

Yes, this is the beauty of Alt+Tabbing out of your paused game. You can get back into the game by simply clicking on the reduced-size tabbed game on your taskbar (usually at the bottom of the screen)... Very Happy

EDIT: You can do this at any time with any open game or program cheers
Back to top Go down
_Nite_
Veteran

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeSat 19 Oct 2019 - 15:27

EDIT: You can do this at any time with any open game or program cheers

almost all games, some don't like alt tab or they can freeze/ctd/cause bugs to happen in specific games
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Message log notes   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeSun 20 Oct 2019 - 4:07

Previous post:

Perhaps to use a local perhaps phrase "the proof is in the pudding" that is: to try it out in Stalkersoup and then the answer will arrive cheers

Please comment on the results, though I cannot imagine Sword posting the suggestion without testing it first.

pchester

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeSun 20 Oct 2019 - 10:48

I can only speak as a Windows 7 user, but I would be surprised if Windows 10 behaves differently...

I regularly ALT-TAB in and out of StalkerSoup for testing or for other reasons. If I do so from a menu screen, my mouse sometimes stops responding when tabbing back in (I think this is because it is a 'gaming' mouse, which has an extra layer of control software running between it and the game), but alt-tabbing out and in again usually fixes it.

Most Windows games (and other programs) allow ALT-TAB-ing out and back. Some older programs may not support this, and may become unstable and even CTD. This is especially true if the program was written in the days before Windows supported running multiple programs at once. Fortunately modern-day Windows is pretty good at intercepting and preventing even these programs from crashing. However, this may vary depending on your particular setup, and the only way to be sure is to try it out for yourself and see...
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeSun 20 Oct 2019 - 16:54

Perhaps to use a local perhaps phrase "the proof is in the pudding" that is: to try it out in Stalkersoup and then the answer will arrive cheers

Please comment on the results, though I cannot imagine Sword posting the suggestion without testing it first.

Using Windows 7 Ultimate, as long as the game is 'Paused' first, I have no problems Alt+Tabbing in and out of it to check or make notes...

I am, however, having multiple Save issues when using the 'fast travel' cheat to get around maps quicker in Level 1. I suspect the new maps aren't as stable as those in Level 0, and only the designated paths/transitions work properly. Otherwise, any saves made after using Esc+F2 get more and more conflicted and corrupted, transitions CTD, and then you can't reach any area at all from anywhere... No

So thank you to pchester and kd6dm for sending me their saves to continue... I love you
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitimeMon 21 Oct 2019 - 3:34

Previous post:

I think the idea is to use Esc F2 when stuck. But I have found it very difficult to work out a route to End Station. Going somewhere new even when heading there may cause game coding problems ie I am sure that TB lays a few interesting NPCs to meet on route plus new mutants. Generally pingpong trips make some sense if a lot but in L0 partcularly there are lots of missions that reward with transitions. Most should be open in L1. I am playing that again and there are a few challenges to overcome but there again it is an fps  Wink
Good hunting.

Message Log Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Message Log Idea   Message Log Idea Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Message Log Idea
Page 1 of 1