StalkerSoup

Everything StalkerSoup related...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Will The Arena Be Fixed In The Future?
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeby PsyWarVeteran Today at 16:20

» AKS "Strelok" mismatched textures
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeby Hydralisk Today at 15:39

» Military trader in Agroprom
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeby Wolf666 Today at 15:33

» Hunting in Chernobyl?
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeby TrueB Today at 9:42

» Talking to Arnie crashes the game
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeby Wolf666 Today at 7:59

» Shadow graphical issue
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeby Wolf666 Yesterday at 17:19

» State of the game
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeby aZmoDen Yesterday at 15:48

» The '100 Rads' bar...
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeby TrueB Yesterday at 0:39

August 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
TrueB
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? I_vote_lcapDoes faster Windows equal a faster game? I_voting_barDoes faster Windows equal a faster game? I_vote_rcap 
Wolf666
Does faster Windows equal a faster game? I_vote_lcapDoes faster Windows equal a faster game? I_voting_barDoes faster Windows equal a faster game? I_vote_rcap 
kd6dm
Artyom
Sword2012
TecnoBacon
pchester
aZmoDen
Aleks1970
run8andplugem
Statistics
We have 849 registered users
The newest registered user is Jonatan7208

Our users have posted a total of 9197 messages in 1173 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

zifzaf

Most users ever online was 148 on Wed 3 Jul 2019 - 13:42

Does faster Windows equal a faster game?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TrueB
Veteran

Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Empty
PostSubject: Does faster Windows equal a faster game?   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug 2019 - 6:49

One of the issues around gameplay I've heard is that it doen't matter how much RAM for the CPU because Windows is limited to 4gb including Windows. I have a program that is designed to Turbo charge selected programs, and wonder if it is likely to work, would it be better it do so for windows explorer ie faster selection of files and folders or for Stalkersoup.exe? 
It is part of an Asus suite. But in general, since my computer knowledge is minimal, I wonder if Stalkersoup can really be accelerated and if so would it help deliver a smoother game, please? Regards, TrueB.

Last edited by Sword2012 on Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 22:43; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Extra)
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Does faster Windows equal a faster game?   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug 2019 - 15:16

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Previous post:

Please see the Installation Guide for comprehensive advice on this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You'll find all the tips from the forum on this subject in there...
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Veteran

PostSubject: Turbocharging   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug 2019 - 18:16

Previous post:

Please see the Installation Guide for comprehensive advice on this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You'll find all the tips from the forum on this subject in there...
I have looked at the guide, thanks Sword but was unable to find your wording on Turbo Charging effects on graphics cards' GPUs and CPUs as to whether the class of RAM for such eg on DDR4 RAM CPU RAM & DDR5 Turbo Charged DDR5 RAM, has a positive smoother gameplay effect effect.

Last edited by TrueB on Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 18:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Does faster Windows equal a faster game?   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug 2019 - 20:26

I have looked at the guide, thanks Sword but was unable to find your wording on Turbo Charging effects on graphics cards' GPUs and CPUs as to whether the class of RAM for such eg on DDR4 RAM CPU RAM & DDR5 Turbo Charged DDR5 RAM, has a positive smoother gameplay effect effect

In the guide you'll find generic advice on what most players can do with their PCs for better gameplay

The questions you're asking here are outside of its boundaries, and you'd be better googling the subject to understand it better

Frankly, the differences between the classes of GPU RAM for the purpose of running the game will be negligible, especially in a computer of your specification which is higher than that of most players on this forum, and well overspecified for a 32 bit game

As you have 32Gb of onboard RAM, and 11Gb of GPU RAM, you needn't be making any further tweaks. SLI-ing will not double your GPU RAM - it'll stay the same as just one of your cards. Forget overclocking unless you really, really know what you're doing and, because the game is CPU intensive, the best thing you can do is to keep your PC maintained and working optimally
Back to top Go down
kd6dm
kd6dm

PostSubject: Re: Does faster Windows equal a faster game?   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeWed 14 Aug 2019 - 22:54

TrueB wrote:

Hi TrueB,
Sword2012's advice is right on. Over the past few years, I have played Stalkersoup with a GTX 780 Ti, a GTX 970, and a GTX 1080.There was very little difference in average frame rates with each of these cards. All are adequate for Stalkersoup.

The CPU is the big difference, as STALKER games are CPU-bound, but again, most "modern" CPUs are adequate. I have a 6700K running at stock speeds, as I learned long ago that overclocking produces minimal returns. Both Intel and AMD CPUs "turbo" up to meet demands, and you will not gain enough to make tweaking, and overclocking worthwhile.

Freeing up both RAM and CPU cycles IS worthwhile though. I always close memory hogging programs such as Malwarebytes before starting SS, and I have Windows Defender and Cortana turned off. Turning off background tasks not needed is always beneficial. But which tasks? Good question...I only turn of the big memory users, and don't bother with the little guys.

So use your program that turns off unneeded background tasks, but the rest of it generally costs too much and yields too little. Good stalking, my friend.

Veteran

PostSubject: Faster windows for a faster game   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Aug 2019 - 6:52

Above post:

I have a program that came with the pc, that will turbo any chosen program. In the tray it provides, I put Windows Explorer and Stalkersoup.exe.
I thought I would ask on Forum whether using the turbo to enhance Windows Explorer would help Ssoup. From the information provided by kd6dm and yourself, using turbo on Windows would seem a waste of time.
I do not consider my pc to be that powerful, nor up to date, for since buying it, I had to replace my RAM and Graphics card. Gamers and graphics workers are now buying i9 CPUs, 256gb DDR4 or more RAM, and 1080ti RTX cards, which is way beyond our pc's capability. The pc is not for Ssoup but graphics. There it can struggle, in the game it doesn't but the spec you put in your Installation guide should also easily run Ssoup too.
So now I will test Ssoup using the turbo first and then without second to see what the benchmark is. For surely getting more out of TB's excellent game is worth researching.

Research & Suggestions is what TB asked me to do, & so I have for about 5 years.

Last edited by Sword2012 on Fri 16 Aug 2019 - 2:57; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Veteran

PostSubject: Does Faster Windows equal Faster Game   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Aug 2019 - 7:26

Previous post:

Hi kd6dm, 

Thanks for your helpful reply. Tweak II that comes with the graphics card from Asus, shuts down all unnecessary Windows applications - usually about 25. It also defrags the GPU and increases performance or graphic appearance and recommends the latter, so I just press a button and let it get on with it  Very Happy .

I agree that overclocking is not worth doing at all.

It is difficult to tell whether the changes over the years from massive stutter on approaching Rostock to none at all are due to a pc or TB's skills or a bit of both, though I like to lay it at TB's door. 

So when TB commented on using GPU memory, it seemed worth using the programs that come with the GPU to enhance further - one of which turbo charges either Microsoft Explorer or Stalkersoup. Ssoup has to access explorer. It would seem from what you and Sword write that tweaking Windows (after removing non-essential clutter) and the general components, are not going to make much difference to the game. 

So I will test the difference between turbo charging Ssoup.exe and not doing so. 

Many thanks for helping me to avoid trying to test the PC, which would have been a distraction.

Best wishes, my friend. TrueB.

Last edited by Sword2012 on Thu 15 Aug 2019 - 23:25; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Veteran

PostSubject: Faster Windows etc   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Aug 2019 - 15:38

Above post:

Well Sword, A BIG THANK YOU, from me to you. Because in your comment about checking drivers in your Installation Guide, I did, and as a result updated 14 drivers including my graphics card.   - so quite a bonus. Hopefully the gameplay of Stalkersoup will be helped by this. Cheers! TrueB.

kd6dm

PostSubject: Re: Does faster Windows equal a faster game?   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Aug 2019 - 15:39

TrueB wrote:

Good luck, and you will want to "turbo" XR_3DA.exe. Stalkersoup.exe is just the ui that starts the game executable.

Veteran

PostSubject: Faster with turbo   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitimeFri 16 Aug 2019 - 1:32

TrueB wrote:

Good luck, and you will want to "turbo" XR_3DA.exe. Stalkersoup.exe is just the ui that starts the game executable.
Hi kd6dm,
That is very true, and I will swap Stalkersoup.exe for XR_3DA.exe when I start the test, much obliged and here's a e-cigar to blow smoke rings round controllers Wink
Best Wishes, TrueB.

PostSubject: Re: Does faster Windows equal a faster game?   Does faster Windows equal a faster game? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does faster Windows equal a faster game?
Page 1 of 1